“A design’s layout is a map for the viewer. Those viewing a design need to feel as if the designer knows the road- and layout is the map that makes that possible.”- Goodman
A good layout should guide the viewer. It should be very clear about what information is most important and display an information hierarchy through headings and fonts. There are several elements if a clear hierarchy:
- Visual contrast- The differences create visual interest for the reader
- Symmetrical & Asymmetrical Balance- Is the design meant to be predictable or classic?
- Sequence or visual rhythm- Changes of pace of design
- Depth- Incorporating a 3D feel to an image
- Implied space- The use of scale and or repetition